Thursday, May 8, 2008

Sewin' In the Car Is Good For Your Marriage!

Today we had to go to Chambersburg. Even though my husband was driving, I face that section of RT 81 with fear and trembling. (I know I'm not the only one who feels that way!) But it was a breeze today. I took my little Janome Sew Mini, hooked it up to the inverter, plugged it into the cigarette lighter, and sewed the whole way! I put the sewing machine on a tray on my lap. Of course that machine is slow, but I didn't care -- it was better than watching those trucks and crazy drivers who like to get a bit too up close and personal for my taste!

Art loved it because I wasn't screaming my head off, or loudly sucking in my breath each time another driver whipped in front of us, or roared up behind us riding our bumper. I got 11 draw string bags finished!!! (All but the drawstrings because I didn't want to fuss with all that ribbon all over the car). Art thought it was a blast, too, and at one point looked over and said, "You're running out of thread." Now isn't that the best husband in the world! He acted like it was the most natural thing in the world for his wife to sit happily beside him, sewing on her machine, while the traffic roared by, as he fought the asphalt dragons! I highly recommend sewing in the car -- it completely eliminates the "side seat driver" routine. I didn't even miss it that I didn't have breaks on the passenger side of the car!! (Are you laughing!!!)

The only thing that would have made it better was if my little Sew Mini was pink. Or maybe a Princess model will come out one day . . .

Happy Mother's Day to you all!!
A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while . . . their hearts forever.

2 comments:

Laurel H. said...

Oh, Marcellene, this is TOO funny!!! But, dare I admit, the same thing has crossed my mind DOZENS of times--can I sew while I ride? (I KNOW my husband would also appreciate this!) Goodness, we're always in the car, and that would be a great activity for extended car trips. We'll have to give our Hello Kitty machine (which, of course, is the same thing as your Sew Mini) a try. I just have to remember where we put our inverter thingamabob...

Marcellene said...

Hmmm. I see two more Hello Kitty machines in your future . . .!!! Those bags that hang on the back of your car seats are going to fill up with sewing notions! Martha Pullen will be on your DVD screen, and you'll have custom shades on each window. There will be a little sign on your dash that reads, "Sewing while driving is not advisd." I gotta have a picture of this!!! This is really SEW much fun!